Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Magic


I sometimes think that being the parent of a 1-year old is a lot like being a magician. First there's the smoke and mirrors tactics involved in the "art of distraction" - an exercise I participate in almost every day when Cooper is getting cranky or frustrated and needs to be diverted before he has a mini-meltdown.

Then there's the actual "magic" part of being a parent of a 1-year old. The pure delight and joy that he experiences when I do the slightest little tricks. Today for example I made myself "disappear" under a blanket and Cooper was thrilled to see me re-appear over and over again. I could have done it a hundred times and he would have had the same reaction - squeals of delight. I can also make toys disappear and reappear with the same enthusiastic results.

What a joy it is to be in a situation where the truly little things in life are like magic in Cooper's eyes.


JK

No comments: