Friday, May 22, 2009

Pooping on the potty



It was an exciting day today. Cooper was in the bathtub and said that he had to go pee. He was pretty insistent so I got him out of the tub and dried him off so he could sit on the potty. Now we aren't officially potty training so sometimes he'll go pee on the potty and sometimes he won't but pooping on the potty is a territory that we haven't even crossed into yet.

The little trooper (or should I say "pooper") sat on that potty shivering away. I kept wrapping him in his towel but it obstructed his view of the action so he shrugged it off. After several minutes of waiting, grunting, and singing B-I-N-G-O I heard a noise and although Cooper announced "I'm peeing" it just didn't sound like peeing to me and it definitely didn't smell like pee to me.

So I said to Cooper "honey - I think you just went poop" and encouraged him to stand up and have a look. The expression of shock mixed with confusion on his face was priceless. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that he had just made that.

So we celebrated in a large way with lots of praise and stickers. Cooper seemed to be quite proud of himself. We did a ceremonial flush as well which I think he liked most of all.

Tomorrow will be a new day - and we still have many diapers in our future but we do seem to be heading in the right direction. It's just amazing how quickly he is growing up and a good reminder to pay attention and really embrace these precious little moments. How often does one get to celebrate a poop? These are special days!

No comments: