Monday, January 21, 2013

The Peanut Allergy - A New Chapter

In November we had our little Leah tested for a peanut allergy following a reaction she'd had to peanut butter the month before.  I was very anxious about the test because I didn't really know what to expect (not to mention the fact I was afraid for the outcome) and had been told that it can be quite painful for little ones.  Add to that a not-so-friendly receptionist who required both Peter and I to be present at the test to "hold her down" and by the morning of the test I was quite anxious.

Add to all of this the fact that my little Leah isn't always great with managing change and new experiences - especially of the medical kind and it was a stress-invoking day for me!  

I decided to spend the morning coaching Leah about what would be happening that day.  Since she was not even 2 yet I had to really simplify the situation.  I told her "We are going to see the Doctor today and that he was going to put some medicine on her back and that she'd have a lay on her tummy for a little while until the medicine went away." I repeated the mantra over and over again until she could say it with me.  

And as is often the case - the experience went well.  She didn't need to be held down, the prick of the needles didn't phase her at all and she was perfectly happy to sit still (on my lap and not on her tummy) and watch Dora until the test was complete.  The down side was of course that within 5 minutes of the test her little arm started to react to the peanuts and thus a new chapter has begun in our lives.

It's hard to say how Leah would have reacted had the test been like the receptionist had indicated.  I'm glad that I took the time to prepare her so that she could manage her own anxiety.  As language develops these types of things may become easier although with our little Miss Leah you never can tell!

No comments: