Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quality vs quantity

Sometimes I really struggle with the amount of time I spend away from my kids each day. I can make myself sick with guilt just thinking about how I only see my kids for a couple of hours a day during the week.  Otherwise I'm essentially counting on other people to raise my kids.  That's huge!

It's not as bad with Cooper - he's at school full days and he's required by law to be there so I really can't beat myself up too much over that.  He also can stay up a little later so I feel like I get a bit of a visit with him in the evenings.  Leah on the other hand is ready for bed at 6:30 - 7pm if we push it...don't get me wrong I'm not complaining...it just really shortens my time with her.

So how do I cope with the guilt?  I do a couple of things.  I try to make every day worth while in my career. I know that sounds weird but I figure if I'm going to spend 8+ hours away from my 2 favourite people...it better darn-well be worth it! So when I show up each day I look for opportunities to make an impact and move myself forward in my professional development.  

I also try to focus on quality time with my kids.  I make bath time an event with Leah - lots of songs and games and then stories before bedtime.  I try to sit down and play with my kids - even if I'm exhausted - even if it's only for 20 minutes and even if the game they want to play is "super heroes" for the 100th time.  Just plug in and make a conscious effort to learn about their day, catch up on our hugs and reconnect.

The one piece that is missing is me.  I don't consider myself as important in the equation right now - and tuning into my kids is what keeps me elevated.  My kids make me a better person.  If I go to the gym I have started to go after their bedtime.  7:30pm isn't ideal for me, but it's guilt-free time which is worth the sacrifice.

Mother's Day 2012 with my kiddies!

What did I ever do with my time before kids? Seriously?


No comments: