Monday, March 5, 2012

Worst Mom or just really busy?

I would be lying if I said I had any sort of handle on this work/life balance crap. I literally feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants most days. I get out of bed with a renewed sense of calm and within 30 seconds my heart rate is rising as I'm signing permission slips and packing lunches.

Today was a particularily bad parenting moment for me. Cooper has been sick...ALOT - it's apparently the curse of starting Junior Kindergarten. He's had Hand Foot and Mouth Disease, Hives, the flu and a chronic ear infection to name a few. Add his sister and all of her little daycare illnesses to the mix and Peter and I are missing a lot of work. Ahem...I mean our kids have been sick a lot and it's stressful!

So this morning when Cooper came into my bedroom and told me his tummy hurt and he had a fever (he didn't have a fever) I dismissed it as a kid who's gotten used to staying home and is trying to pull one over on me. I felt a little more guilt when right before he got on the bus he said "But mom, my tummy is still hurting" but not enough to stop him from boarding and heading off to school.

I got to my desk and cringed all day long whenever my phone rang but his school never called - that is until 3pm...apparently Cooper wasn't feeling well...."oh dear, we'll be right over to pick him up!" WORST MOM EVER.

It's just hard because with every day I miss of work I have to make it up. We're staring down the barrell of a week of holidays and I need to get some work done so that I can relax on the beach with my hopefully healthy kids.

So yes, I turned the other way this morning against my better judgement and we'll likely pay for this with a day off from school, or maybe 2 or 3.

No comments: