I will always remember this summer as the “summer of 3”. It’s the last summer of just the 3 of us as our family will be expanding in November with the arrival of our daughter. This is also the summer when our son was 3 – a stage that was challenging in ways that I had never expected.
When Cooper turned 3, I was quietly proud of myself for surviving the terrible 2’s. And really – what was so terrible about them? I look back at the 2’s as a really cute and fun time in my son’s life. 3 on the other hand has been the most challenging stage I’ve been through since he was a newborn.
Nobody talks about the terrible 3’s and I really would have appreciated the warning. It’s a time of pushing boundaries, talking back, and not listening. The cherry on top – no more naps! It’s been one heck of a summer! As a parent, it's a time of pushing back, timing out, and trying not to raise your voice too often. For me I am wound up in the additional challenge of being completely exhausted with pregnancy - and completely guilty about the fact that our last summer as 3 really hasn't turned out as I planned.
![]() |
| Cooper discovered the joy of being buried in the sand. Also a quiet moment for Mom and Dad! |
Sure we've had a great summer full of memories - trips to the Zoo, visits with my parents, a week at the cottage. Hopefully for Cooper this will be where the memories stick. For me I will always remember the sheer panic I felt at the Toronto Zoo when my defiant 3 year old refused to go into the stroller and proceeded to run through the Zoo, zig zagging the crowds of people, with Peter and I keeping pace behind him.
It’s hard as a mom to admit to this latest challenge. I find myself clinging to resource books like I haven’t done since Cooper was a baby. Don’t get me wrong – he’s a great kid and I love him with all my heart. I also carry with me the wisdom of knowing that as with all stages – this too shall pass!

No comments:
Post a Comment